Penn’s Sustainable Transportation Initiative was launched in 2010 in support of the University’s Climate and Sustainability Action Plan’s goal of lowering Penn's carbon footprint. The focus of this initiative is developing and expanding sustainable commuting options for members of the Penn community, including enhancing the programs and services provided to those who commute by bike. The Department of Transportation and Parking and its University partners have implemented over a dozen programs or service enhancements designed to make bike commuting, safer, easier, and more affordable. In addition to the resources below, Facilities and Real Estate Services offers a campus biking map to help you plan your routes around campus.
Bike Commuter Expense Reimbursement Program
- Began January 2017.
- Full-time benefits-eligible faculty and staff can receive up to $240 annually to defray eligible bike commuting expenses.
- Participants must commute by bike greater than 50% of the time and register their bikes.
There are three bike repair stations available for use by the Penn Community
- Chemistry Complex, 33rd and Spruce Streets
- Law Lot, 34th and Chestnut Streets
- Pottruck Health and Fitness, 3701 Walnut Street
Bike and Property Registration
- By registering your property, your registration sticker will serve as a visual deterrent and increase the chances of recovery should your bike ever be lost or stolen.
- Registration sticker(s) must be picked up at Division of Public Safety, 4040 Chestnut St.
- To register, click on the appropriate box below. (Students-After you login to Campus Express, go to My Property.) Note to Faculty and Staff: participants in the Bike Commuter Expense Reimbursement Program MUST register your bike.
Student Helmet Reimbursement
- The Penn Student Insurance Plan will reimburse up to $25 towards the purchase of a bike helmet.
- To obtain the correct form and learn more about Student Health Service's Bike Safe Program, click the box below.