FAQs Commuter FAQs

Report a lost or stolen Registered Key Card by calling the SEPTA Key Customer Call Center at 855-567-3782 or going online to www.septakey.org.  The funds in your Travel Wallet and your current Pass will be suspended when you make this report and may not be used until you obtain a replacement Key Card so it's important to do it right away. Don't forget to register your replacement card with Health Equity/WageWorks as well.