Graduate Room Selection for the 2016-2017 Academic Year was held March 1 through March 14, 2016 at 5:00PM. Students who applied during this time can view their 2016-2017 assignment on Campus Express on or after March 25, 2016. You do not need to confirm your assignment.
Any resident who did not apply during Room Selection and wants to return to Sansom Place for the 2016-2017 Academic Year can apply via the New Graduate Application which will open April 1, 2016.
For more information email the Housing Assignments Office at
General Information for 2016-17 Room Selection
- Applications will be available online at MyHomeAtPenn. The application will be active Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 9:00AM through Monday, March 14, 2016 at 5:00PM. Applications must be completed by the dates specified.
- There are new graduate rental rates for the 2016-2017 academic year. Click here for the new rates.
- 2016-2017 rates will be effective July 1.
- You must be a matriculated Penn student to be eligible for housing. You may not be on Financial Hold.
- Graduate students residing in Sansom Place may share their one bedroom apartment with a spouse or partner, 18 years of age or older. The policy and guidelines are set forth in the Residential Handbook. Families with children cannot be accommodated.
- All graduate resident leases are August 27, 2016 through June 30, 2017
- Residents may apply for Early Termination effective June 1 if they submit documentation from their school confirming that their academic year has ended. If approved, June rent will be prorated based on the date move-out has been completed.
- We will make every effort to honor your roommate requests. Both roommates must submit applications by March 14. If you wish to live with a specific incoming graduate student, you may indicate this at the time of application. We will try to assign you together. This cannot be guaranteed because a new student's assignment will be contingent on his/her acceptance date.
- Please note, at this time we will not be housing graduate students in Sansom Place West next academic year. If you are a resident in Sansom Place West, you will not be eligible for room retention for next academic year.
- Sansom Place East will be undergoing a major exterior facade renovation during the Summer of 2016. For more information, please visit the Sansom Place East Facade Project website.
RETENTION (RETURN TO THE SAME ROOM)
NOTE: Residents in Sansom East who retain their rooms have the option to remain in continuous residence and will be charged July and August rent. If you do not select to stay all summer, you must move out on June 30, 2016 and remove all of your belongings. You may move into your room on August 27, 2016.
- To remain in your current room for next year, complete the housing application at MyHomeAtPenn and select the Room Retention section. If you would like to "pull in" a roommate, you may do so provided your current roommate does not want to retain. Please check in advance to avoid problems. If you do not retain during the above mentioned Room Selection application dates, your room may be assigned to another student. Note that 2016-2017 rates take effect on July 1, 2016.
NOTE: For residents of Sansom Place East remaining in continuous residence through Summer 2016, the actual move to the new room must take place on the dates we specify and you will have only a few days to complete the move. There is little room for flexibility since the change must be coordinated with maintenance schedules and the new resident’s move-in schedule. By applying for a room change, you are agreeing to follow our timetable. You will be notified by e-mail when it is time to move.
- To room change, complete the housing application at MyHomeAtPenn and complete the Room Change section listing your room/building preferences. Be as specific as possible listing all of the options you are willing to consider. You may request a specific roommate (list his/her name on your application), but each of you must apply and list the same room preferences. Please be aware that when you change rooms, your mailbox number will also change. Applications will be randomly processed. Note that 2016-2017 rates take effect on July 1, 2016.
**You can check for your room information at MyHomeAtPenn on or after March 25**
2015-2016 Academic Year Housing Updates
- Sansom West closes on Tuesday, May 31, 2016. All residents of Sansom West must move-out of their room by Noon on May 31.
- Sansom East closes on Thursday, June 30, 2016. All residents of Sansom East must move-out of their room by Noon on June 30.
- Residents that are returning to Sansom East for Fall 2016 have the option to remain in continuous residence for July and August and will continue to be charged rent.
- Residents of Sansom East who are not returning for Fall 2016 and who need an extension beyond June 30, 2016, for academic reasons only, may request an extension by email to
. Your request will be reviewed to see if it can be accommodated. No requests for housing beyond Sunday, August 7, 2016 will be considered.
2016-2017 Occupancy Periods and Cancellation Schedule
2016-2017 Occupancy Periods August 27, 2016 through June 30, 2017 or August 27, 2016 through May 31, 2017
*When you complete the online application, you are signing the Terms and Conditions in order to reserve your space on campus. The Terms and Conditions are for the full term of the occupancy as indicated in the rent schedule and your financial obligation begins the moment you submit your application. Review the Terms and Conditions carefully.
2016-2017 Cancellation SchedulePrior to April 15 $400.00
April 15 to June 15 $800.00
June 16 to August 22* $1,200.00
*No cancellations will be accepted after August 22.
Assigned housing for students failing to check in and occupy their room by the first day of class, or failing to make arrangements for late occupancy, will be cancelled and the student will remain responsible for the Fall Semester's rent (through December 31 for graduate students).
**Residents of Sansom Place remaining in continuous residence may not cancel this agreement after June 30, 2016.
Need Additional Information?All questions should be directed to the Housing Assignments Office, Stouffer Commons, 3702 Spruce Street, 215-898-8271 or email at