The Returning Graduate Housing Application for the 2017-2018 academic year will be open March 1 through March 13, 2017 at 5:00PM. Students who apply during this time can view their 2017-2018 assignment on MyHomeAtPenn on or after March 24, 2017. You do not need to confirm your assignment.
Any resident who does not apply during the Returning Graduate application period and wants to return to Sansom Place for the 2017-2018 academic year can apply via the New Graduate Application which will open April 3, 2017.
For more information email the Housing Assignments Office at
General Information for the 2017-18 Housing Application
- Applications will be available online at MyHomeAtPenn. The application will be active Wednesday, March 1, 2017 at 9:00AM through Monday, March 13, 2017 at 5:00PM. Applications must be completed by the dates specified.
- There are new graduate rental rates for the 2017-2018 academic year. Click here for the new rates.
- 2017-2018 rates will be effective July 1.
- You must be a matriculated Penn student to be eligible for housing. You may not be on Financial Hold.
- Graduate students residing in Sansom Place may share their one bedroom apartment with a spouse or partner, 18 years of age or older. The policy and guidelines are set forth here. Families with children cannot be accommodated.
- All graduate resident leases are August 26, 2017 through June 30, 2018.
- Residents may apply for Early Termination effective June 1 if they submit documentation from their school confirming that their academic year has ended. If approved, June rent will be prorated based on the date move-out has been completed.
- We will make every effort to honor your roommate requests. Both roommates must submit applications by March 13. If you wish to live with a specific incoming graduate student, you may indicate this at the time of application. We will try to assign you together. This cannot be guaranteed because a new student's assignment will be contingent on his/her acceptance date.
- Please note, at this time we will not be housing graduate students in Sansom Place West next academic year. If you are a resident in Sansom Place West, you will not be eligible for room retention for next academic year.
RETENTION (RETURN TO THE SAME ROOM)
NOTE: Residents in Sansom East who retain their rooms have the option to remain in continuous residence and will be charged July and August rent. If you do not select to stay all summer, you must move out on June 30, 2017 and remove all of your belongings. You may move into your room on August 26, 2017.
- To remain in your current room for next year, complete the housing application at MyHomeAtPenn and select the Room Retention section. If you would like to "pull in" a roommate, you may do so provided your current roommate does not want to retain. Please check in advance to avoid problems. If you do not retain during the above mentioned Room Selection application dates, your room may be assigned to another student. Note that 2017-2018 rates take effect on July 1, 2017.
NOTE: For residents of Sansom Place East remaining in continuous residence through Summer 2017, the actual move to the new room must take place on the dates we specify and you will have only a few days to complete the move. There is little room for flexibility since the change must be coordinated with maintenance schedules and the new resident’s move-in schedule. By applying for a room change, you are agreeing to follow our timetable. You will be notified by e-mail when it is time to move.
- To change rooms for next academic year, complete the Graduate housing application at MyHomeAtPenn and complete the Room Change section listing your room/building preferences. Be as specific as possible listing all of the options you are willing to consider. You may request a specific roommate (list their name on your application), but each of you must apply and list the same room preferences. Please be aware that when you change rooms, your mailbox number will also change. Applications will be randomly processed. Note that 2017-2018 rates take effect on July 1, 2017.
**You can check for your room information at MyHomeAtPenn on or after March 24**
2016-2017 Academic Year Housing Updates
- Sansom West closes on Tuesday, May 16, 2017. All residents of Sansom West must move-out of their room by noon on May 16.
- Sansom East closes on Friday, June 30, 2017. All residents of Sansom East must move-out of their room by noon on June 30.
- Residents that are returning to Sansom East for Fall 2017 have the option to remain in continuous residence for July and August and will continue to be charged rent.
- Residents of Sansom East who are not returning for Fall 2017 and who need an extension beyond June 30, 2017, for academic reasons only, may request an extension by email to
. Your request will be reviewed to see if it can be accommodated. No requests for an extension beyond Sunday, August 6, 2017 will be considered.
2017-2018 Occupancy Periods and Cancellation Schedule
2017-2018 Occupancy Periods August 26, 2017 through June 30, 2018
*When you complete the online application, you are signing the Terms and Conditions in order to reserve your space on campus. The Terms and Conditions are for the full term of the occupancy as indicated in the rent schedule and your financial obligation begins the moment you submit your application. Review the Terms and Conditions carefully.
2017-2018 Cancellation SchedulePrior to April 15 $400.00
April 15 to June 15 $800.00
June 16 to August 21* $1,200.00
*No cancellations will be accepted after August 21.
Assigned housing for students failing to check in and occupy their room by the first day of class, or failing to make arrangements for late occupancy, will be cancelled and the student will remain responsible for the Fall Semester's rent (through December 31 for graduate students).
**Residents of Sansom Place remaining in continuous residence may not cancel this agreement after June 30, 2017.
Need Additional Information?All questions should be directed to the Housing Assignments Office, Stouffer Commons, 3702 Spruce Street, 215-898-8271 or email at