Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information and Resources
International Travel

International Travel:  What Do You Need to Know?


A graphic of the globe and an airplane

The US Department of State

International Travel Website

Comprehensive information for all US citizens. Everything you need to know as an American traveling to international destinations, from planning to local "911" numbers. Click HERE

Best Practice:

When traveling internationally, check CIBT Visas for required paperwork (passports, visas), register your trip and visit Penn’s International Travel Guidance Website for further tools and resources.

Penn Global is a valuable resource for International Travel.  They support Penn's central organizations, schools and centers on new and ongoing international activities.

  • Register Your Trip
  • International SOS
  • Passports

    A passport is a document, issued by a national government, which certifies the identity and nationality of its holder for the purpose of international travel.  It does not entitle the passport holder entry into another country, nor to consular protection while abroad.  It does, normally, entitle the passport holder to return to the country that issued the passport.

    Travel Best Practice:  Before traveling to another country, verify if additional documentation such as a Visa or Letter of Introduction are required.   A Penn preferred provider of this service is CIBT Visas.  To contact CIBT Visas by phone:  1-800-577-2428.


    A visa is a document showing that a person is authorized to enter or leave the area for which it was issued and is subject to permission of an immigration official at the time of actual entry.  The authorization is commonly a stamp endorsed in the applicant's passport, but it may also be a document to accompany a passport.  A visa generally gives non-citizens clearance to enter a country and to remain there within specified constraints, such as a time frame for entry, a limit on the time spent in the county, and a prohibition against employment.  A visa application in advance of arrival gives the country the opportunity to consider the applicant's circumstance, such as reason for applying, details of previous visits to the country and financial security.  Some countries also require a Letter of Introduction.  For additional information see the FAQs on the CIBT Visas website. To contact CIBT Visas by phone:  1-800-577-2428.

    Travel Advisories and Warnings

    Check before you go:

    Emergencies Abroad

    Contact International SOS (215-942-8226)   Penn Member ID:  11BSGC000012

    Contact Penn Police (215-573-3333)