Outgoing U.S. Mail for the entire campus is metered through Penn Mail Services (approximately 15,000 pieces per day). Mail received is processed and inserted into the USPS mail stream. To ensure Same Day Service, mail must be received in Penn Mail Services by 1:30 p.m. All bundles of outgoing mail must be accompanied by a valid Mail Authorization Card (MAC) held together by rubber band. The use of tape and/ or staples is highly discouraged. Failure to provide a completed MAC and/or incorrectly preparing the mail for processing may result in the delay or return of mail.
To help Penn Mail Services deliver the best service to you, please follow these general guidelines:
- Write legibly, in upper case, in black ink whenever possible.
- Always separate mail into the following categories:
- Domestic US Mail
- Letter size (Keep flaps up or sealed for swifter processing)
- Larger size envelopes, also known as flats ¬ (Seal for swifter processing)
- International Mail (Same as above)
- Intramural Mail – Reusable gray or confidential white envelopes available from Penn Mail Services. Be sure to provide both addressee name, department, mail code and building
- Stamped Mail
- Special needs towards your mail should be addressed with Penn Mail Services staff by calling 215-898-MAIL (215 898-6245)
- To ensure expediency, deposit all types of outgoing mail in your building's designated pickup area.
- Face all letters in the same direction. Turn flaps up so that envelopes may be sealed more easily.
- The MAC must contain an active budget code, class of mail designation, date of mailing, and contact name with phone number.