Concur Expense is Penn's on-line automated expense management system, used by all Schools and Centers . All expense reports for faculty, staff and students are to be submitted using Concur.
For assistance contact our Expense Help Desk:
How do I assign someone as my delegate to prepare expense reports and to approve?
How do I claim a reduced per diem amount on an expense report?
Moving Expenses Only
January 1, 2015
December 31, 2015
57.5 cents per mile
23.0 cents per mile
January 1, 2016
December 31, 2016
54.0 cents per mile
19.0 cents per mile
|January 1, 2017||December 31, 2017||53.5 cents per mile||17.0 cents per mile|
Concur makes mileage calculation quick and easy. Just enter the From and To locations, click the Mileage Calculator and your mileage is automatically and accurately calculated!
The person approving your flight, at the time of booking, fills out a form with the proper 26 digit funding code and emails it back to World Travel. At that time, the code becomes part of your airfare record. We use that information to allocate the charges each month to the correct School/Center.
There is a “formula” –
On the day of booking the airfare:
1. Print out itinerary with cost for LEAST logical airfare round trip
2. Print out airline itinerary booked, that includes the personal part of the trip with cost
3. The University will reimburse the lowest of the two costs.
Both documents will be required as part of the expense report submittal, along with a comment describing the situation and the reimbursement request.
Least logical is based on the business portion of the trip. If an individual is going to a conference and needs to be there by noon and home two days later, you would search for flights that meet that criteria. The lowest cost flight that would meet the criteria might involve two stops, but in this case, it is the least expensive. Even if the individual normally only travels direct flights, that would not be taken into consideration. It is the least expensive flight that meets the criteria.
Log into Concur and select the Expense Tab
- On the screen you should see a the rejected report with a top red banner. Note: If the specific report is not visible, select Report Library on the top right side, and then select the report from the listing.
- In the Status column, look for the one saying “Sent Back to Requestor”
- The reason for rejection will appear in the box or in the comment field. If the explanation is long, open the report, click Details and select Comments. The entire explanation will be visible there.
- Read the comment from the approver and fix the expense report accordingly.
- Re-Submit the Report
A matrix is available on the Office of the Comptrollers Accounting webpage under Concur Expense Type/Object Code Matrix. Click HERE for access to the matrix.
Generally, no. Penn's sales tax exempiton is not transferrable to individuals. In some cases where group travel is paid direction by Penn using a Purchase Order or Purchasing Card, Penn may be exempt from paying sales tax in certain states. If you are organizing group travel and have questions about sales tax exemptions please contact Penn's Corporate Tax Office, www.finance.upenn.edu/comptroller/contacts/#Tax.
RECEIPTS and PRINTING
The University requires that travelers retain and submit any receipts that are $25 or more for reimbursement purposes. Your specific school/center or grant may have stricter expense requirements. Please contact your BA with questions on necessary receipts.
An acceptable receipt is a document that contains:
- transaction date
- name of merchant
- transaction details (what was purchased)
- form of payment used
- amount of purchase
- indication that the amount was paid
While in your expense report, select the Receipts button at the top of the screen. Choose Missing Receipts Affidavit - it will appear near the bottom of the drop down. Select the expense item by putting a check in the box. SAVE. A red X will appear on the line item expense. This indicates that you must put a full explanation of the expense in the Comment box of the entry. Once you have done that, the red exclamation point will disappear. Note: the Missing Receipts Affidavit is only available for transactions $25 or higher. Also, only the individual requesting the reimbursement can access the Missing Receipts Affidavit for their expense report. It is not visible to a delegate. If you need a Missing Receipts Affidavit for an item less than $25 or if the item is part of an itemization, such as a meal listed as part of a hotel bill, you can use this link - Missing Receipts Affidavit - to obtain an electronic form. Once it is filled out completely, signed and scanned, upload it to the receipts button located at the top of the expense report.
Most needs for printing an expense report have been eliminated. However, if you do need a hard copy follow these steps:
- Open the expense report in Concur
- Click the Print button in the Concur tool bar (next to Receipts button)
- Print Report
No, they do not print out with a copy of the expense report.
To print your receipts that have been attached to an expense report do the following steps:
- Open the expense report in Concur
- Click the receipts tab in the top tool bar
- Open the receipts in a new window
- Right click on the receipts document and select print
Any advances requested and dispensed through Concur Expense should be applied to a new expense report accompanied by all appropriate receipts following the trip in which the advance was used.
Travel Advances are requested and fulfilled through Concur Expense. Click HERE to access the Instructional Guide.
Click HERE for a 2-step instruction sheet on Applying an Advance to an Expense Report.
Once an expense report has moved through the approval process, it is released for payment on a nightly basis. If you are Faculty/Staff/Post-Doc or are on Payroll in any capacity, deposit is made electronically into the same bank account in which you receive your payroll. If you are a Student (and not on Payroll), deposit is made electronically into the bank account in which you have entered on Penn InTouch.
Log into Concur
- Click the Expense tab. Click Report Library on the far right side.
- Your reports and the status of each will be displayed
- After the report has been approved, to determine the payment date, open the specific report, click Details, select Report Payments.
No. To determine the status of your expense reimbursement, log into Concur, click on the Expense tab. Select Report Library on the far right side. Locate the Expense Report in question. Look at the columns "Status" and "Payment Status".
APPROVING AN EXPENSE REPORT
There are two ways:
- Outside Concur - You will receive an email notification that an expense report is waiting for your approval in Concur
- Inside Concur
- Anytime you log into Concur, on the My Concur page, there is an Approval Box on the home page that will list reports waiting for your approval.
- You can select Approvals in the top tool bar. A list will appear if any are needing your attention.
While reviewing the expense report needing your approval, click on the Details tab in the tool bar. Select Approval Flow to see those that approved before you and any people that have been assigned to approve after you. It should be noted that if you are the default reviewer, you will not be able to see the cost object approvers until after you approve and it enters that workflow.
Any approver can add another approver. Select the Details tab, Approval Flow, and click the down arrow to the right of your name. In the new "user-added approver" box, begin typing the name of the additional approver. As they appear in the drop down, select them. When you approve the expense report it will route to the additional approver.
Note: The person requesting the reimbursement cannot determine the approvers or approval flow.
Any time you make a change with payroll regarding your direct deposit account you will receive an email from Concur reflecting that change. However, if you switch accounts there is a process payroll follows in verifying the new account in which two notifications may go to the user:
- A paycard will be issued for the short lag time that occurs for a test transaction to flow between Penn payroll and your banking institution.
- Email One: This paycard number is sent to Concur in a nightly feed, and will cause an email notification to go to the user stating that their banking information has changed. (This will not match your new direct deposit account number.)
- Once the test transaction has been confirmed, your direct deposit change is activated, and Concur is updated again in a new nightly feed.
- Email Two: This change will also cause an email notification to go to the user stating that their banking information has changed.
To verify your direct deposit account is correct, when you receive the second email, go into Concur, select your Profile, and look at Banking Information.
CONCUR MOBILE APP
How do I set up the Concur Mobile app for creating expense reports or approving expense reports?
The Concur Mobile App provides the flexibility of creating expense reports, approving expense reports and booking travel on your smart phone or mobile device. Click HERE for the instructional guide on downloading and setting up the mobile application.
Yes. A Help Desk is available to address problems or answer questions regarding the Concur Expense Reporting system.
Contact our Expense team for help:
- Phone Assistance: Call 6-HELP or 215-746-4357 (press 3 for Concur Travel and Expense)
All of the training materials are easily accessed from the front page of Concur under "Need Help With Your Expense Report?" and on the Training Manuals link. Instructional guides are available in two formats - downloadable pdfs with screen shots and step by step instructions and How-To Videos.