Utility Resources

As a tenant, you may be responsible for making the necessary arrangements to receive utility services. Leases vary as to which utilities are included in the rent. When renting an apartment, water and sewer services are almost always the responsibility of the landlord and heat (using gas, electricity or oil) may sometimes be included in rent. Set up your own accounts at the beginning of the lease and make sure you close the accounts at the end of the lease. If you do not, you will continue to be liable for utilities in your name even after you have moved out of the premises.


Trash and Recycling


My Service

You can request service through PECO either online or by phone. Visit www.peco.com/move to start, stop or transfer your service. If applying online, you should complete the application at least 5 days prior to the date that you want service on.

Additional Options

PECO was Pennsylvania’s only energy company until Pennsylvania deregulated its energy resources several years ago.  PECO continues to be the main energy resource supplier in the Greater Philadelphia area, but you should know that there are several energy companies you can choose from. If you are interested in using another company you should visit www.puc.state.pa.us/utilitychoice.


Philadelphia Gas Works (PGW)

You can apply for service by phone at 215-235-1000 or in person at the following locations:

Center City
1137 Chestnut Street

4410 Frankford Avenue

212 West Chelten Avenue

North Philadelphia
1337 West Erie Avenue

South Philadelphia
1601 South Broad Street

West Philadelphia
5230 Chestnut Street

If you have to go to the office to arrange for service, be sure to have:
  • A copy of your lease or a notarized letter from your landlord.
  • Two pieces of identification.
  • They will also need to see your social security card. (International students should bring passports along.)
  • Your credit history will be checked to determine if you will be required to pay a deposit.


For buildings with two or more apartments, the landlord must supply heat at a temperature of 68°F (20.0°C) for each apartment from October 1 to April 30 and during May and September when the outside temperature falls below 60°F (15.6°C).

However, the landlord does not have to supply heat where the landlord provides each apartment with approved separate heating equipment solely under the control of the tenant of that apartment.

If you have a complaint about the heating in your apartment, contact the City of Philadelphia Heat Hotline at 215-686-2590.


Philadelphia Water Department

Water costs are typically included in a tenant’s monthly rent. However, if you rent an entire house, or in the event that you are responsible for the water bill, arrange to have a final reading so that all previous billing can be finalized. Water/sewer bills are issued monthly. If the water bill comes in the landlord's name but you need to pay for it, remind the landlord to provide you with the bills in a timely manner.

Trash and Recycling

The Philadelphia Streets Department and the divisions within it are responsible for the city's vast network of streets and roadways. Included among our many duties are the ongoing collection and disposal of residential trash and recyclables, as well as the construction, cleanliness and maintenance of our entire street system. Visit www.philadelphiastreets.com for information about collection schedules, city cleanup programs, highway paving, FAQ and a host of other trash and recycling resources.

SWEEP (Streets and Walkways Education and Enforcement Program)
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

SWEEP is a city-run program created to educate Philadelphia citizens with regard to their responsibilities under the Sanitation Code. Contact SWEEP and all other Streets Departments Services for problems regarding trash and recycling collection, illegal dumping/cleanup, pothole and street repair, traffic signals and signs, alley lighting.